Friday, May 1, 2015

Alaina's Harry Potter Party

Our baby girl turned TEN this year.  What?!  I'm sorry but thats impossible.  There is no way she was born ten years ago.  Man that went fast.  She has been a joy since she first joined our family and made us a Mommy and Daddy.  Alaina is hilarious, smart, sweet, thoughtful and kindhearted.  I'm so grateful to be her Mom.  She is truly a wonderful girl and a huge blessing to me.


So Alaina (and I) are slightly, or a lot, obsessed with Harry Potter at this moment in our lives.  I read the first one to all the kids as our night time book and they all loved it.  Especially Alaina.  So she started reading the second...and third...and fourth.  Then people started telling me that I might want to read them first before she goes any farther.  So I started reading them.  The second, and third and fourth.  Then we read the fifth one, me a chapter or so ahead of her.  By this point she's kindly persuading me to read in all my possible spare time so she can move along too.  Long story short, we both finished the series about a month from starting the second book.  We. Love. Harry. Potter.
I laughed.  I cried.  I was so stressed.  I laughed some more.  And cried some more.  And laughed while I was crying.  So so good.  But it seems everybody already knew this and we are late to the game.  But oh well.

So because Harry Potter is currently Alaina's favorite thing we just had to have a Harry Potter birthday party.
It was SO. MUCH. FUN!

We decorated according to house.
Giffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin.

We had Ollivander's Wands.  
We included a list of all the spells, curses and hexes mentioned in the books.
And Dementor's Revenge Chocolate Bars.
As well as all the required reading for your second year at Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Oh and every guest got a pair of nifty Harry Potter glasses.




We had our sorting hat ready with copies of the Daily Prophet and one of my favorite quotes from the books.
Also Nimbus 2000s and Firebolts back there for all our guests.



First thing we did was have a little photo booth thing going.  These cracked me up.


Then we sorted all our Hogwart's students into houses.  I got the hat on Amazon.  It has a little pocket in it so we put Bret's phone in the pocket.  He was in the other room on the house phone and would yell out who was in what house.  Hilarious.  I made little badges with the house name, colors and symbol for each kid.

RAVENCLAW!


Clara: GRIFFINDOR!  (she did a little arm pump when this was announced by the hat:)
Jeremy: SLYTHERIN!  (Well, Bret was the sorting hat and Jeremy is a boy at Bret's daughter's birthday party.  Sorry Jeremy.)
 Eden: RAVENCLAW!
Braelyn: GRIFFINDOR!
Not pictured:  Caylee and Dash: Hufflepuff and Julian (another boy at Bret's daughter's birthday party): Slytherin.

After the sorting we had a little Harry Potter characters quiz.
Alaina and I were the only ones to get them all with no help, haha.
But we had just read them so that doesn't really count. 

We had our Divination class after that.
The kids had their own teacup with a paper with symbols and what they meant.  The kids had to tell their own futures using the symbols and draw them on their teacups.

After Divination was Potions.
We played with the magical birthday potion that  makes everyone happy and love the Harry Potter books.
Really it was dry ice in soapy water.  The kids LOVED it.


Then we had our Defense Against the Dark Arts class and the kids had to fight off Bogarts.  Man did we laugh.  The person being the bogart had to act like something the student is afraid of and then the student says "RIDIKULUS!" and the bogart kid had to act silly.
So So funny.


I didn't get pictures of the next thing, but you can see our little Harry Potter in the background in the above picture.  We played pin the scar on Harry Potter.
Also hilarious.

Then everyone got a broom and we went outside to our pitch to play a little game of Quidditch.
Slytherin and Hufflepuff against Ravenclaw and Griffindor.

(This is the only picture I have of our entrance into the wizarding world of our Harry Potter birthday party, Platform 9 3/4.  I got a sheet and a sponge and some brick red paint.  It looked awesome.  There is a slit in the middle for everyone to walk through into the party.)


After our exciting and slightly dangerous game of Quidditch, our Hogwart's students cooled down by watching Harry Potter sketches by Studio C.

 Then we sang Harry Birthday to our fabulous Harry Potter Loving Birthday Girl and ate our golden snitch cupcakes.

With homemade Butterbeer even!


Then opened presents.




 This was the best and most fun party we've ever  had.  I'm never going to top the Tenth Birthday Harry Potter Party.

I hope you had an awesome and perfect day Alaina.  
I love you as adoringly as Dumbledor loved Harry.  I love you forever like Snape loved Lily.  I love you as proudly as McGonagall loved Harry.  I love you as devoted and patient as Hermione loved Ron.  I love you as fiercely as Molly loved Ginny.  I love you no matter where I am like Lily loved Harry.

Happy Birthday my girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment